Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Recipe: Pesto, Spinach, Tomato, and Goat Cheese Pizza

roma tomatoI am not a big fan of traditional pizzas.  But since I am trying to eat healthy and get a wider variety of ingredients into my diet, I have tried a lot of things that I never really thought about before.  

pestogoat cheese I knew I loved spinach just about any way you fix it and I knew that a little goat cheese  will go a long way to adding flavor without a lot of calories.  So when my daughter made a yummy tomato and goat cheese pizza from a Cooking Light recipe I thought I would start experimenting and try some additional ingredients.   

The pizza recipe below is what I came up with.  It uses some prepared ingredients, some fresh and it makes a pizza with 6 slices at 221 calories per slice. 

 

 

Ingredients

  • 1 100% Whole Wheat Pizza Crust by Boboli
  • 2 tbsp Pesto from the grocery
  • 2 oz Fresh Raw Spinach
  • 1 medium size Roma Tomato, sliced
  • 2 4/5 oz Alloutte crumbled goat cheese
  • 2 oz Asiago Cheese or Parmesan, shredded

Directions

Spread pesto on pre-made pizza crust. Layer on spinach then add sliced roma tomato. Top with goat cheese and sprinkle with asiago cheese.
Bake at 450 degrees for about 15 minutes.

This pizza is pretty filling and you get a lot of veggies in.  You could add diced chicken or chopped artichokes, or replace the Roma tomato with chopped sun-dried tomatoes.  Be creative and make it your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment