Monday, February 22, 2010

Breakfast That Feels Like You're Cheating

So we all know that breakfast is important, right?  But most of us don't take time to eat it.  Or we eat crap.  Speaking of . . . what justifies crap?  Well, to me it's things that don't fill you up or things that are fast and easy but not enjoyable or things that make you feel blah.  So I have had to work at breakfast.

I don't do carbs for breakfast - no cereal, no sweet stuff.  I gotta have me some protein.  I am a meat girl when it comes to breakfast.  And it must be portable.  I usually eat it in the car so you can see how cereal might be a problem, sorta like texting while driving.  Fruit is okay but rarely does it fill me up.  So, again, I have to work at breakfast.

I like breakfast sandwiches and that's usually what I have each morning.  Don't turn you carb hating noses up at me! There are tons of good options (calories, fiber, and lower carbs) out there now for breakfast breads:
  • Thomas' Better Start Multi-Grain English Muffins  (100 Calories) 
  • Arnold Multi-Grain Sandwhich Thins (100 Calories)
  • Thomas' Bagel Thins  (110 Calories)
You can trim calories for the meat portions of a breakfast sandwich by paying attention to serving sizes and using leaner cuts.  Sodium can be a problem so compare labels.  My favorites:
  • Jones Farm Canadian Bacon (60 calories for 3 slices)
  • Jimmy Dean Light Bulk Sausage (140 calories for a 2 oz. patty)
  • Center Cut Bacon (50 calories for 2 slices)
  • Johnsonville Smoked Turkey Links (110 for a whole link, I usually use half)
Can you tell I love pork???  Which brings me to a point - don't deprive yourself of things you love.  If it is something you are not willing to give up, don't.  It will only make you miserable.  Just figure out a way to make it healthier and eat less of it - like JUST one serving instead of 6.

So . . . back to breakfast. 

I choose a bread and a meat and then . . . my favorite substitute for decadence . . . Laughing Cow Light Wedges.  I love cheese.  Truly love it.  And not only do I hate fat free or low fat stringy, yucky cheese, but it's hard for me to stop at a 1 oz. serving of the real thing.  But Laughing Cow is a great substitute.  And it is only 35 calories per wedge.  I use it in so many recipes, some of which I will share later, and it makes my breakfast sandwiches feel like I'm cheating.

So, for example, my most favorite breakfast:
  • A Better Start English Muffin, toasted
  • A wedge of Laughing Cow Light spread onto the muffin
  • 2 slices of semi-crispy center cut bacon, halved and layered between the muffin
It's a very filling breakfast for only 185 calories.  Sometimes I use 4 slices of bacon just 'cause it's so yummy and I can still keep it below 250 calories.  That is so much less than a fast food breakfast or a frozen breakfast sandwich.  And less than a bowl of cereal too.

As you can tell by now - I only count calories.  I pay attention to sodium, fat, fiber, carbs and protein but I don't limit myself in any area.  I am very healthy despite being fat so someone with health issues might not be able to do things the same way I do.  But this is what works for me.

Hope it works for some of you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment